Polymati

Saeculo XXI

Spatia Communitatis (PS21).
Sequere nos...

The Importance of Competing as a Polymath: A Personal Journey

Dr Tabea Hirzel with the bust of Unamuno at the Unamuno House Museum in Salamanca, 2018.


Introduction

This is a personal reflection by me, Tabea Hirzel, on the role of competition in the life of a polymath. It was inspired by a conversation I had with Barbara Kleeb about the challenges polymaths face in obtaining academic titles and by the current Olympic Games. Just as athletes compete on the world stage to demonstrate their abilities, polymaths must navigate a different kind of competition in the academic arena. However, this competition is not about IQ tests, arithmetic contests, or chess tournaments—rather, it pertains to the pursuit of advanced academic titles at the master's and doctoral levels.

The Reluctance to Compete

Feeling Different and Isolated

As a polymath, I have often felt at odds with the conventional structures of society, leading to a reluctance to engage in competition. For me, two primary factors contributed to this hesitation. First, there was the feeling of being fundamentally different—perhaps even not fully human in some respects—which made the idea of competition seem irrelevant or unfair. Competing under such conditions felt imbalanced.

Fear of Ridicule and Retribution

Second, I frequently excelled in intellectual tasks, and when I encountered areas where I was less proficient, there was a fear of ridicule and retribution from others who might harbour jealousy. This raised the question: why put myself in such a vulnerable position?

The Turning Point: Overcoming Challenges

Early Health Struggles

This perspective began to shift due to significant experiences that challenged me both physically and mentally. However, the groundwork for this change was laid years earlier during a challenging period in my childhood. At the age of eight, I suffered from a severe cough, potentially whooping cough, which led to hospitalisation and a near-death experience. The illness left me physically weakened, with lingering lung issues that took years to overcome.

Physical Challenges and Perseverance

At ten, I encountered challenges that pushed my limits, particularly in the realm of physical activity. These experiences were initially met with resistance and fear, but they ultimately proved beneficial. Rigorous physical activities, particularly running, gradually improved my health and instilled in me the value of perseverance. Although I resented these challenges at the time, I later recognised that this experience taught me the value of striving in areas where I was not naturally talented.

The Realisation: The Value of Competition

Competition as a Means of Communication

This early experience in overcoming physical challenges set the stage for a broader understanding of competition. It wasn't until much later that I fully understood why competing—especially in areas where I might not excel—is vital for a polymath. Competing is not merely about winning; it is about building connections and communicating effectively with others, particularly those who do not share the same breadth of skills.

Academic Titles: A Structured Path to Knowledge

Trust Leading to Achievement

My pursuit of multiple academic titles in diverse fields was not driven by a desire to compete or showcase my knowledge. Instead, these titles were a by-product of the trust others placed in my abilities. This trust led me to take on tasks that far exceeded my formal education, compelling me to acquire the necessary skills to meet those expectations.

The Role of Academic Titles

For me, academic titles were not the ultimate goal but rather a structured pathway to gaining the skills needed for my various professional roles at different points in my life.

The Double-Edged Sword of Recognition

Scepticism and Prejudice

While academic titles offer formal recognition, they can also invite scepticism. In an era where academic fraud has become more prevalent in some regions, holding multiple titles can lead to doubt and suspicion. People might wonder if someone has cheated or manipulated the system to acquire such credentials. However, I found that I could live with these doubts, having faced years of prejudice and scepticism.

Exceeding Expectations and Mistrust

The real challenge arose during job interviews or team collaborations, where people quickly realised that my knowledge and skills often far surpassed what my titles suggested. This discrepancy sometimes led to mistrust, as others found it difficult to believe that someone could possess such a depth of knowledge across various fields.

Embracing Competition: A Path to Better Communication

Overcoming Prejudices

One of the most important lessons I’ve learned as a polymath is to disregard the prejudices of others. These biases are unlikely to disappear. Instead, by continuing to demonstrate my true capabilities, I can open up new experiences and opportunities.

Humanising Through Vulnerability

Competing in areas where I am not naturally gifted offers others a fair chance to succeed, fostering more balanced and respectful relationships. Showing vulnerability and acknowledging my weaknesses can humanise me, making me more relatable to others. This approach not only alleviates others' insecurities but also enhances mutual understanding and collaboration.

Increasing Visibility and Structuring Knowledge

Making Polymathy Visible

Another compelling reason for me, as a polymath, to engage in competition is that it increases the visibility of my unique combination of skills.

Learning the Language of the Field

Furthermore, academic competition encourages the development of structured methodologies for organising knowledge. This process involves learning and using the terminology and methodologies that are widely accepted within specific fields. By doing so, I can communicate my insights more effectively and contribute to scientific and intellectual progress.

Conclusion

Competing and measuring one's skills, even in areas where a polymath might not excel, is essential for improving communication with non-polymaths. It humanises the polymath, making them more relatable and approachable. It also increases the visibility of their unique skill set and facilitates more effective communication by using shared methodologies and language. Ultimately, competition in the academic field—specifically at the master's and doctoral levels—can help polymaths contribute more meaningfully to the broader intellectual community, fostering progress and understanding.

References

Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1996). Creativity: Flow and the psychology of discovery and invention. HarperCollins.

Epstein, D. (2019). Range: Why generalists triumph in a specialized world. Riverhead Books.

Kaufman, S. B. (2013). Ungifted: Intelligence redefined. Basic Books.

Simonton, D. K. (2004). Creativity in science: Chance, logic, genius, and zeitgeist. Cambridge University Press.

Kleeb, B. (2023). YouTube Channel. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4R_husZMtei3Arwo5MFo3w

Lehmann, H. (n.d.). School Baumann Faculty Page. Retrieved from https://www.schulebauma.ch/de/verwaltung/personal/?personen_id=35733


Share this:

SOBRENOSOTROS

PS21 es un grupo de trabajo formado por personas polímatas que ponen sus habilidades al servicio de las empresas e instituciones para la innovación y creación de soluciones inteligentes facilitando así la transición hacia la economía 5.0.

UNIRSE CONVERSACIÓN

    Comentario Blogger
    Comentario Facebook